Manassas & Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee 2016 Call to Caucus, to Elect Delegates and Alternates to the Virginia 10th CD and State Democratic Conventions
Update as of Monday, April 11, 2016, 5:30 pm: All caucuses on April 18 are officially cancelled, since only 12 individuals prefiled for the 15 available delegate and alternate slots by the deadline at 5:00 pm today. Congratulations to the 5 Clinton delegates, 4 Sanders delegates, and 1 Sanders alternate automatically elected from the City of Manassas and the two Clinton delegates automatically elected from the City of Manassas Park. Our elected delegation is well balanced by gender with six women and six men and includes ethnic minorities and three voters under the age of 40.
Whereas, it is the duty of the Manassas & Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee (MMPCDC) to issue the Call to Caucus for the purpose of electing delegates and alternates as indicated in Appendix A below to the 10th Congressional District Democratic Convention and the Virginia Democratic State Convention:
Now therefore be it resolved that the Manassas & Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee will hold separate assembled caucuses for Manassas and Manassas Park at 7:30 p.m. Monday April 18, 2016 at the Manassas Park Police Department Meeting Room, 329 Manassas Dr, Manassas Park, VA 20111 for the sole purpose of electing delegates and alternates to the 10th Congressional District Democratic Convention and the Virginia Democratic State Convention, and the following provisions shall govern these caucuses, to wit:
1. Prefiling: Those wishing their names to be placed on the ballot at the Caucus shall prefile their candidacy with the Chair of the Manassas & Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee or his/her designee. The Prefiling Form (see Appendix B below) must be received by 5:00 p.m. Monday, April 11, 2016.
2. Voluntary Administrative Fee: There shall be a voluntary administrative fee of twenty dollars ($20.00) for each person filing for delegate or alternate, payable to MMPCDC with cash, by personal check, or via ActBlue. Payment of this fee is voluntary, and no statement is required to waive payment. There shall be no fee to attend or vote at the Caucus.
3. Notice Requirements: The Manassas & Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee shall cause to be published the time, date, and location of the Caucuses at least 7 days prior to the Caucuses but not more than two weeks before the Caucuses. A copy of this call shall be (a) published on the Manassas & Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee official website: http://manassascitydemocrats.com/, (b) sent to the DPVA, and (c) sent by Press Release to the Manassas & Manassas Park Democrats’ media list.
4. Conduct of the Caucus: The doors to the Caucus will be opened at 7:00 p.m. and will remain open until 7:30 p.m. Those in line at 7:30 p.m. will be allowed to complete the check-in process and will be permitted to vote. Those arriving after 7:30 p.m. will not be admitted to participate.
5. The Chair of Manassas & Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee or his designee shall be the Temporary Chair of the Caucus and shall appoint a Temporary Secretary and such other Temporary Officers of the Caucus as is deemed appropriate. Until the adoption of the Rules, the order of the Caucus shall be determined by the Chair of the Caucus, subject to the approval of the Caucus participants, Robert’s Rules of Order, and the Virginia Democratic Party Plan.
6. Affirmative Action: It shall be the duty of the Democratic chair and the members of the Democratic Committee to take all feasible steps to encourage broad participation in the delegate selection process. Discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, color, national origin, religion, ethnic identity or economic status in the delegate selection process is prohibited. The Democratic Committee shall make every effort to ensure that the delegation is half-male and half-female.
7. Cancellations: The Caucus Chair may cancel a caucus provided the number of people who prefile by the deadline is equal to or less than the number of delegates and alternates allocated to the particular locality. Notification of the cancellation shall be posted on the MMPCDC Website by 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 12, 2016.
8. Call Distribution: It shall be the duty of the Manassas & Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee Chair to publish the Call to Caucus.
Adopted: March 19, 2016 (DATE)
Signed: Allen Muchnick (SIGNATURE OF CHAIR)
Paid for by the Manassas & Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee, http://manassascitydemocrats.com/.
APPENDIX A. Number of Delegates and Alternates by Locality.
Clinton Clinton Sanders Sanders
Locality Delegates Alternates Delegates Alternates
Manassas City 5 1 4 1
Manassas Park 2 1 1 0
APPENDIX B. Delegate or Alternate Prefiling Form
Delegate or Alternate Prefiling Form
(to be filled out and submitted by the prefiling deadline)
Democratic Party of Virginia
I, the undersigned, certify that I am a Democrat, am a registered voter in the City of Manassas / Manassas Park (circle one), subscribe to the principles of the Democratic Party, do not intend to support any candidate who is opposed to a Democratic Nominee in the next ensuing election, and will not participate in the nominating process of any other political party.
City __________________________Zip Code_________
Phone (H) ___________ (C) _____________ E-mail______________________
Congressional District ___ City _________________ Precinct ______________
Filing For: Delegate / Alternate (Circle One)
Presidential Candidate Preference _____________________________________(Candidate Name)
U.S. House Candidate Preference ________________(Candidate Name, Uncommitted, or No Candidate)
Fees: State $10.00 + District $5.00 + Local $5.00 = Total $20.00
Congressional District, county and city committees may request voluntary administrative fees for each delegate and alternate candidate to the Congressional District Convention. The total may not to exceed $25.00. No person shall be denied the right to participate in the delegate selection process due to nonpayment of the voluntary administrative fee.
This completed application must be received by the Chair of the Manassas & Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee, at 9625 Park St, Manassas VA 20110, by 5:00 p.m., Monday, April 11, 2016. Applications may be delivered by U.S. Mail, by email to email@example.com, or in person. The filing fee, which offsets the costs of the two Conventions and the local Caucuses, may be paid by cash, personal check to MMPCDC, or online at the MMPCDC’s secure ActBlue page [http://bit.ly/1WwibJl].
If elected a delegate or alternate to my Congressional District and State Conventions, I understand that, having expressed the above candidate preferences, I will in all good conscience vote in that candidate’s caucus on the first ballot at both Conventions.
Paid for by the Manassas & Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee, www.manassascitydemocrats.com/.