APRIL 30, 2022 UPDATE: The nomination caucus is cancelled because only two candidates filed for the three nomination slots. Congratulations to incumbent Manassas Park council members Alanna Mensing and Haseeb Javed, our official Democratic nominees for the November 2022 General Election.
CALL TO CAUCUS TO NOMINATE DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES
FOR CITY OF MANASSAS PARK CITY COUNCIL
FOR THE NOVEMBER 2022 GENERAL ELECTION
1. Call. Pursuant to Code of Virginia Section 24.2-510 and the Democratic Party of Virginia Party Plan (“the Party Plan”), the Manassas and Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee hereby calls an Unassembled Caucus for the sole purpose of nominating Democratic candidates for three seats on the City of Manassas Park Virginia City Council to run in the General Election set for November 8, 2022.
2. Caucus Rules, Forms, and Information. Caucus Rules will be posted, along with other pertinent forms and information about the nominating process, at the Manassas and Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee website https://www.manassascitydemocrats.org . Any changes to the Caucus Rules will be updated on that site.
3. General Participation Requirements. Each participant in the Caucus must be a qualified voter in the City of Manassas Park at the time of their participation. Each participant must affirm in writing that they are a Democrat, that they believe in the principles of the Democratic Party, and that they do not intend to support any candidate opposing a Democratic nominee in the ensuing election.
4. Voting Opportunities. Participants in the Caucus may vote only in person and at the time and location noted below. (Note: Each voter may arrive during the time listed, cast his or her vote, and leave.)
5. Conduct of the Caucus. The caucus for the City of Manassas Park City Council nominations is scheduled for Saturday, May 14, 2022, 1:30-4:30 pm, at the Manassas Park City Library, 9701 Manassas Drive, Manassas Park 20111. The doors will open at 1:30 pm for check-in and will close promptly at 4:30 pm. Anyone in line at 4:30 pm will be allowed to vote.
6. Candidate Filing: Each person seeking to become a Democratic nominee for City Council in the general election shall submit, to the Manassas and Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee Co-chair, Cheryl Macias, 9502 Oakenshaw Drive, Manassas, VA 20110, the following by 5:00 PM EDT on Friday, April 29, 2022:
- An original signed and properly witnessed copy of the Declaration of Candidacy form and
- A certified check, cashier’s check, personal check, or money order for the filing fee of $250.00, payable to the Manassas and Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee (MMPCDC).
Only those candidates who have timely and properly filed a Declaration of Candidacy form AND paid the filing fee will have their names placed in nomination. The Declaration of Candidacy form shall be available on the Manassas and Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee (MMPCDC) website, https://www.manassascitydemocrats.org .
If fewer than four qualified candidates file for this nomination by the April 29 deadline, the Chair may declare those candidates to be the Party’s nominees and cancel the nominating caucus.
For questions about the Caucus, to request any accommodation necessary to ensure full participation, or to file a Declaration of Candidacy, please contact Cheryl Macias, Co-chair of the Manassas and Manassas Park Cities Democratic Committee at email@example.com or 571-330-9429.